Engr. Dr. Maikanti Kacalla Baru graduated with First Class Honours in Mechanical Engineering from Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria in 1982. He also attended the University of Sussex, United Kingdom where he obtained a Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Aided Engineering in 1987.
Dr. Baru has over 30 yearsâ€™ experience in Steel Rolling Mills and the Oil Industry. He started his carrier with the Jos Steel Rolling Company Limited from 1988 to 1991 where he rose to the position of Head, Corporate Planning and Electrical Department. Baru later joined the premier Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) as the Engineering Manager with the National Engineering and Technical Company Limited (NETCO) in May 1991. Thereafter he held various positions including Manager, Operations of Procurement Management Services (PROMAS) 1991 to 1993; Manager Gas Department 1993 to 1997 and General Manager, Gas Development Division in 1997 to 1999 both in National Petroleum Investment Management Services (NAPIMS); and Executive Director, Operations Nigeria Gas Company (NGC) in 1999.
Other senior Management Positions held by Dr. Baru in NNPC includes; Managing Director of Hyson (Nigeria) Limited from 2004 to 2007; Group General Manager, Greenfield Refinery Projects Division from 2006 to 2007, Group General Manager, NAPIMS from 2007 to 2009, pioneer Group General Manager, NNPC Oil field Services from 2009 to 2010 and Group General Manager LNG Investment Management Services (LIMS) from 2010 to 2015.
Through his resilience and hard work, Dr. Baru was appointed by His Excellency Mr. President Muhammadu Buhari as Group Executive Director, Exploration and Production in 2015 as well as Technical Adviser (Gas Matters) to the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources in 2016.
During the period 1991 to 2016, Dr. Baru has made notable contributions to NNPC. Some of his achievements include:
- Chaired the NNPC Anti-Corruption Committee for four (4) years from 2004 to 2007. This assisted in ensuring strict implementation of transparent processes in NNPC
- Saved $70 million within six (6) months in 1991 through efficient procurement process in PROMAS
- Managed the development of EGP3 and the novel EGTL project in which he saved $575 million through Project Costs optimization during his stewardship of the Gas Division of NAPIMS.
- Ensured uninterrupted gas supply to various customers including NEPA/PHCN that stabilized power generation in the country while in Nigerian Gas Company from 1999 to 2004.
- Introduced Hyson into LPG business that resulted in profits of N24m in 2004, N164m in 2005 and N400m in 2006.
Mr. President Muhammadu Buhari on July 4th, 2016, appointed Dr. Baru as the 17th Group Managing Director of NNPC, a position he holds till date.
As GMD of NNPC, Dr. Baru launched his 12 business focus areas that ensured;
- Recovered and sustained crude oil and gas supply from an all time low in 2016 as well as steady product distribution across the country.
- Restored the image of the Corporation through transparent processes, steady monthly publishing of financial accounts of the Corporation.
- Launched the renewable energy initiatives to transit NNPC from a traditional oil and gas company to an Energy Company.
- Restructured contracting processes in NNPC and pursued outstanding legacy legal issues generating substantial savings for the organization.
- Restored confidence of investors to the Nigerian Oil and Gas industry thereby attracting huge amount of financing to the tune of $3.7bn in the upstream sector and further $7bn under negotiation for both upstream and gas infrastructures.
- Intensified search for oil in the frontier zones as well as in the rehabilitation of refineries and downstream infrastructures.
It was in the light of the foregoing achievements that NNPC and Dr, Baru received several awards and accolades both at home and abroad. In addition, Dr. Baru has delivered Convocation Lectures at ABU Zaria and ATBU Bauchi.
Today, Dr. Baru is ranked as one of the most decorated Nigerians, bagging the prestigious Forbesâ€™ African Oil and Gas Industry Man of the Year in 2017 and the Zik Prize for Professional Leadership in 2018 and the Nigerian Gas Associationsâ€™ Gas Person of the year in 2018.